Camp Kara 2022
Camp Kara is a free bereavement camp for youth ages 6-17 who have experienced the death of a significant person in their lives. Children and teens come together for one weekend to participate in traditional fun camp activities and peer support focused grief activities. Campers are supported throughout the weekend by Kara’s highly trained volunteers and staff.
Since 2008 Kara has operated an annual bereavement camp dedicated to creating a safe and caring space for grieving children and teens to share experiences around grief and loss, acquire coping skills, and gain support from making connections with peers.
Camp Kara 2022: July 8th-10th
Applications are now closed.
Camp Requirements & Information
Event: Kara's 15th Annual Bereavement Camp: Camp Kara
Dates: July 8th-10th, 2022
Location: Camp Arroyo, Livermore, CA
Fee: FREE to all campers
Participant Age: Children & teens, ages 6-17
Application available: February 2022
Please note: Applications are reviewed in the order received and priority is given to new campers and those residing in the San Francisco Bay Area. Space is limited. Apply Early!
General Information: For general questions, information or specific questions regarding the Camp Kara application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 650-321-5272.
Other Northern California Bereavement Camp Information
- Camp Erin Central Valley | 209.578.6303 | email@example.com
- By the Bay Camp | 804.337.7759 or 415.526.5699 | Elyse Granger - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Optimal Hospice - Kids Camp | 661.716.8000
- Camp Erin Santa Cruz | 831.430.3000 | email@example.com
- The Taylor Family Foundation
- The Beth Longwell Foundation
- Tim Griffith Foundation
- Thomas & Ellen Hogue Family Foundation
- Moca Foundation
Individual, corporate and foundation sponsorship opportunities for in-kind donations and underwriting are available; contact Kara at (650) 321-5272 or make a donation online.
Want to volunteer as a Camp Kara Grief Group Facilitator or Cabin Counselor? All Camp Kara volunteers must complete the Kara training. For more information on volunteering click here.
Please complete the contact form at the bottom of the page to be notified regarding information about our upcoming camp.
Children and teens benefit from Camp Kara by:
- Developing a better understanding of grief.
- Exploring the range of emotions, thoughts and experiences that follow a death.
- Learning coping skills, which can be used beyond the camp weekend.
- Connecting with peers who have common experiences.
- Having opportunities to address feelings and honor the person who died.