Giving to Kara
In keeping with our long-standing philosophy of ensuring our services are accessible to everyone, Kara’s unique mission is empowered by the heartfelt generosity of the community we serve - donations from clients, volunteers, friends, staff, corporations and foundations. Over 50% of our funding comes from individuals and nearly 90% from the combined sources of individuals, foundations and corporations. A financial investment in our mission helps to bring hope and healing to thousands in the Bay Area navigating the difficult journey of grief and loss. All gifts may be designated in memory of someone or in honor of an individual or organization.
Every dollar given will help bring hope and meaning to children and adults along their grief journey. The easiest way to make a donation is by giving through our secure online site by clicking on the Donate Now button. Our site allows you to establish a recurring donation as well.
You can also mail or deliver a check to Kara's main office at 457 Kingsley Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301.
Our federal identification number is 94-2431483.
Other Ways to Give to Kara
Give through your will or estate to benefit Kara. Legacy Giving helps provide you with a unique tax advantage that may ease the tax burden on your loved ones.
Some benefits to you when you plan a charitable gift to Kara:
- Potential to reduce your taxes, now or later
- Easy to do, and easy to have a big impact, with no expense to you during your lifetime
- Helps to ensure that grief support will be available for our community’s children and adults
When including Kara in your will or trust our legal name is “Kara”.
Did you know that you can make a charitable contribution through your Roth IRA or traditional IRA? That’s right, and if you’re 70.5 or older, there are some added tax benefits to making your “Qualified Charitable Distribution” in this way.Specifically, current tax law allows you to fulfill your required minimum distribution while bypassing your gross income. That’s even better than the benefits of making a standard charitable contribution. There are some other advantages too:
- It allows you to support Kara’s continued service to the bereaved in our community.
- It minimizes your tax obligation at the federal and state level
- It may keep you in a lower tax bracket.
How To Make A Contribution Through Your IRA
- Contact your financial adviser today and request that a “Qualified Charitable Distribution be made directly to Kara.
- Make sure that your gift is identified with your name, address, and intention to use it as an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution.
- Make sure to list our name as “Kara,” our address as 457 Kingsley Avenue, Palo Alto, California 94301, and our EIN number as 94-2431483
Check with your financial advisor about making a charitable contribution to Kara using your stock portfolio. There are terrific benefits to the donor when you give appreciated stock. Please call our office for specific transfer instructions.
Call our office at 650-321-5272 to inquire about our specific needs regarding in-kind donations.
Because of Kara, I was able to move through my grief journey from having trouble breathing some days, to acceptance, to being able to celebrate the wonderful life of my brother. Our community is stronger and healthier because of the tireless work of everyone involved in Kara’s mission.
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit Kara is eligible to accept bequests. Please consider including Kara in your will or trust. Our federal identification number is 94-2431483. Contact us at 650-321-5272.